Our new house!
With us deep in the moving process right now, I thought it would be nice to solicit some tips from friends and family. Here are the ones I have collected. Happy Moving whenever that may be for you.
- I have moved a lot including across the country a few times. I realized from that, when big changes come my way, I get transitional stress. Knowing that, I can deal with it early on.
- 6 P’s of proper management. Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
- If you live in a 3rd floor apartment and ask for help you will find out who your friends really are!
- Use garbage bags for your clothes. Cut a small hole in the bottom middle, put the hangers through there. Cinch the bottom, and your clothes will stay on hangers and nothing will fall out. Plus they’re easy to move.
- Hire movers.
- If you have a packing party make sure you trust the people touching your things. I had a pair of beautiful diamond earrings that were a gift that someone stole from me when I had a few girlfriends over to help me pack over a year ago. 😦
- Clean out everything you never want to see again & take it straight to Goodwill before you start to pack!
- Invest in a tape gun
- Never buy boxes. Dumpster diving is way cheaper and plenty of places will give them away.
- Offer pizza and beer at your new place after the move. More friends will be willing to help and they will feel appreciated.
- Make friends with big guys.
- A skateboard can be really handy.
- If possible, give yourself some overlap time to move and clean your old place. No one wants to clean the same weekend as you move.